Chorus - Auditions
For new members: Auditions are held 4 times a year, after a rehearsal or two at the beginning of the series of rehearsals that leads to a concert performance of that music. This is called the "Try It, You'll Like It" program. It is an opportunity to rehearse with and sing with the group to determine how good a "fit" it may be. For more details on this page click on Try It You'll Like It, then come back to this page to learn the specific details of any audition. A new member audition takes about 10 min.
For returning members: Bel Canto Chorus auditions are done every two years (Sopranos/Tenors in 2015, Altos/Basses in 2016). All returning members of the given voice parts in that year are expected to reaudition, except for section leaders, who audition separately. Returning member auditions take about 8 minutes.
What is an audition for? Auditions are intended to provide the Music Director with a well-rounded assessment of each singer's skills, and assist singers in defining strengths and areas in need of improvement.
- First, the auditionee will sing a prepared solo song or aria of his/her choosing (*see below). This part of the audition is meant to help the auditionee relax as he/she sings something for which he/she can prepare and with which he/she is very familiar. It is NOT required to do Art Songs in foreign languages to help retain the interest of the Directors. It is acceptable to sing "America the Beautiful" or some similar, more familiar piece. Since the purpose of this solo is to let the Directors hear your vocal color directly, almost any piece of 3-4 minutes in length will do. There are no extra points scored for singing a difficult aria. On busy audition nights, returning singers will be not have time for a lengthy aria and the accompaniment will stop after 3, or 4 minutes, maximum.
- Then, the auditionee will sing the version of the required duet below that is appropriate to your voice
- Sopranos and Altos (download here)--do not be concerned about the "wrong year" in the title of the piece
- Tenors and Basses (download here)--do not be concerned about the "wrong year" in the title of the piece
- Then the auditionee will be asked to sight-sing melodic exercises. There are usually two chances to do this part. Section leader auditions have a more difficult, second sight-reading exercise.
- Then the auditionee will do the "ear-training exercises". That is, short, atonal melodies are played a couple of times for the singer, who has a couple tries to sing them back perfectly.
*Bel Canto provides an accompanist for your audition. You are welcome to bring your own accompanist if you like. No tape-recorded or CD accompaniment will be permitted. You may perform from memory, though it is not required. Please bring a separate copy of the music for our accompanist in addition to your copy. The prepared solo should last 3-4 minutes, and should demonstrate your range, color, and vocal/musical skills. Where possible, please choose an art song or a short aria from an opera, operetta, cantata, or oratorio.
Auditions are by appointment only. Please call the office at (414) 481-8801 or email email@example.com to set up an audition time.
Auditions will be held:
For New Singers, participating in the Try It You'll Like It (TIYLI) program BEFORE auditioning is expected. Shift to this page for more details: Try It You'll Like It
For Returning Singers, reauditions are held every two years (Sops/Tenors in 2015, Alto/Bass coming in 2016). Reauditions may be held just after the season ends in late May/June or before the season begins in early August. Audition dates are set to allow maximal access for members. For the sanity of the Directors, special requests beyond the posted dates must be discouraged.
Auditions will be held at Mequon United Methodist Church MAP
Auditions are by appointment only. Please sign up at rehearsal, call the office at (414) 481-8801 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an audition time (about 8 min total, but come early so you can fill out forms before being ushered into the audition room). On audition days, in case of emergency, please call membership co-chair Vaughn Ausman at 262-853-9376 or e-mail at email@example.com